Mattel must be kicking themselves for not being the ones doing this.
This doll line made a buzz for obvious reasons--the bold claim of being the world's smallest poseable fashion doll. That's a lot to say if it's not backed up. Now, I'm obsessed with toys that engineer high articulation into tiny dolls/figurines/whatever you call them. I love articulation and the smaller the toy, the more impressive high articulation becomes. I've longwanted the thing Zuru promised--a tiny doll that does it all. Did MINNEE achieve that? Is this truly the most amount of jointing for the least amount of doll?
While there are some miniature BJDs with high articulation, including some very tiny ones that are evidently very expensive, my own bar for MINNEE to beat was the LEGO Belville figures, which are the smallest, most articulated...or most articulated, smallest toy figures I've encountered hands-on previously. If MINNEE was smaller than Belville figures and had more posing options, then she would win in my book and uphold her boasts. And even if MINNEE dolls aren't truly the first to do do much for so tiny, they're undeniably the cheapest and most accessible.
MINNEE dolls are unfortunately blind-boxed, but it could be a bit worse. At least the boxes are keepable functional display cases for the dolls rather than being junk or waste, and I didn't have intense enough feelings about the character designs to feel I'd get too sour about the results of blind pulling. Were these more fantastical or creative designs, I'd have some stronger opinions.
I ordered three MINNEE boxes online, hoping to get at least two different designs and one of the three I liked more--I'm partial to the candy-esque pink doll, the vaguely goth "Magic Academy" doll, and the nerdy "Comic Con" doll. With three dolls I actively liked, there was a good chance I got at least one. On the flipside, there are two designs I actively don't vibe with fashion-wise--"Bubble Tea Bar" and "Cat Cafe". So the chances were decent I'd get at least one wanted and one unwanted doll.
My first MINNEE order of three was notified as delayed, and then canceled outright due to lack of inventory. It was about a day or two of the dolls not being available to even add to cart (despite not having an "out of stock" notice) until I could successfully reorder. I did so early enough in the day that the delivery came that night!
I was surprised a little by the boxes in person. The doll cases have a paper sleeve over the sides and top, while the bases are uncovered, and I instantly realized the base sections were metal tins, like a tea can (but of course I would say that). Alas, no classical tea-themed dolls in this series. I have no personal affinity for boba.
The front side of the cases (with the logo on the base) shows the Bubble Tea Bar doll, who, while not my favorite, is still a good choice for a mascot.
The MINNEE branding is very black and pink, which looks good. It would be fun if the color scheme changed from series to series, though, so the doll cases were more distinguished as the collection grew and you could ID a Series 1 or 2 or 3 case from the colors alone. Maybe that will happen.
The opposite side advertises one of the two Retro Rollers dolls. The Retro Rollers character has two editions in Series 1--a rollerblade outfit and a beach outfit, neither one designated as a rare chase doll. Her look is blatantly "Malibu Barbie", and advertising with her looks desperate.
It's not enough to make two dolls of one very Barbielike character, but she also needs to be blasted on the box too? Stand on your own work, Zuru. Oh, wait. You didn't.
Yeah, the artwork for the doll line is AI-enhanced at the very least, and for whatever engineering marvels Zuru may have cooked up here, they need to be criticized heavily for creative bankruptcy in their willingness to use generative AI for images, as well as their utter laziness in copying Rolife miniature kits for their own product line. I'm not even confident AI wasn't used to design the MINNEE characters before manufacturing. I don't trust Zuru any further than I can fling a MINNEE box out the window.
The use of AI imagery is a line toy customers have every right to be unwilling to cross. I have serious respect for that kind of principle. I just end up in a cynical mindset where I see this as a new fact of life. I haven't seen a boycott widespread or long-term enough to have real results in years, and we hear the AI bubble is bursting, but it hasn't really yet. It feels like this is going to keep happening, and it's so hard to convey the intent behind a boycott when executives can ignore or fail to see the reason for a product's failure. I think you're a good person if you avoid anything that's touched genAI. I also just wonder how effective this choice has really been in aggregate. I almost see it like veganism--it's a laudable, righteous personal choice that could make the whole world a better place, but abstention is going to be seen as a personal choice rather than a prevailing norm that will change the structure of society. I really hope I'm wrong. But I'm a carnivore. While shun I genAI as a creative tool absolutely, and refuse to buy AI art decor (and hate to see it), MINNEE is more as a product than the involvement it had in AI. The tiny doll and packaging are genuine engineering. Zuru and Mattel and MGA are all guilty and reprehensible for how they've disrespected a medium that grew on human creativity. But as long as the toys are designed with people and engineers, there's something to discuss. I would still recommend buying the MINNEE dolls secondhand or aftermarket, especially since blind-boxes are another real deterrent to the collecting wants of many doll fans. I'm going to be effusive about the construction of these toys because it would be dishonest not to praise exceptional design, but the loss of human touch in the art, and in the worst potential case, character design, of these dolls is contemptible and I really wish I could be talking about a perfect triumph. Someone deserves praise and recognition for making this tactile playable collectible experience, but it's hard to want these toys to be lauded when the AI use is tacked on. Zuru has every chance to keep going with the physical design and ditch the AI and purify MINNEE, but I really don't believe they will.
The other sides of the sleeve show a list of the characters in the line, including a mystery doll (who is a golden-themed chase variant of the blue "Winter Boutique" doll), and a panel of branding and industry copy.
To remove the carboard sleeve, round clear stickers on two sides have to be unpeeled to separate the sleeve and case from the base. Pulling them apart separates the case and base rather than taking the sleeve off first.
The box base is two parts--the black tin and the pink plastic insert, which has an inset for the doll stand and an M mark to tell you which way is forward--not that it functionally matters. The pink piece is hollow so you can store extra parts inside the display case's base.
The display case holds multiple foil bags (I wish they were paper; that's become the new standard), a collector sheet, and a collectible character card the size of one of the case faces.
The collector sheet unfolds accordion-style and uses the disappointing artwork to show the doll characters.
The dolls are Winter Boutique:
![]() |
| Don't dislike her, but she's a little Gen-Z glam in a way I don't love. It's mostly the hat. The coat makes me curious--is it good? |
Candy Couture:
![]() |
| Gen Z glam in a way I do like. She's got some pop-star vibes, like Ariana Grande if she was in on the early-2010s hyper-colorful confectionery aesthetic. |
Bubble Tea Bar:
![]() |
| If she were wearing anything else, I think we could get along. Hate the jeans and their rubber material. The tank isn't much better, but it is a cloth piece. |
Rollerblading Retro Rollers:
![]() |
| I don't mind her. No cloth pieces is disappointing, but her outfit does look moveable. She has a lot of pieces. |
Magic Academy:
![]() |
| Don't love the preppy style, but in a more elegant costume, she'd be a great tiny goth doll. The eensy sunglasses intrigue me, and I love her cat. |
Cat Cafe:
![]() |
| I've been over this: not for me. I like a cat [space] girl. I don't like a catgirl. This doll is too far on the latter side. |
Comic Con:
Retro Rollers, Beach Version:
![]() |
| A swimsuit is genuinely a great outfit for a tiny doll whose articulation you want to show off. I like the fabric wrap skirt and towel and her beach bag looks like it can hold stuff. |
And the chase doll, the golden Winter Boutique:
![]() |
| I get gold is the "rare valuable" color, but it kind of butchers the design here. |
The end of the sheet has a small diagram showing how the doll stands assemble and fit in the pink doll case bases.
The character card in this first box I opened depicts Candy Couture.
It wouldn't be unheard of for the card to be randomized and unrelated to the character inside, but I opened a bag to check, and yep--that's the Candy Couture doll.
![]() |
| The clothing sizes we're asking women to fit into these days are ridiculous... |
Getting Candy Couture was great news for me, but since Toy Box Philosopher Emily just reviewed these dolls and Candy Couture was her first and her spotlight, I stopped unboxing this one for the time being and checked the next box to see if it would be someone different so I didn't end up writing the same post Emily did.
I checked box number 2, and it's Winter Boutique! The normal one, not the chase variant. Fine--the blue suits her better!
![]() |
| It is...entirely the wrong season, girl! |
The boxes have two black bags and two pink, one square and one tall and narrow each. The tall narrow black bags contain the dolls, nude with jewelry, and they have plastic bands over their heads and hair.
The square black bag contained the hat, ice skates, and purse.
The square pink bag had the clothing--a rubber skirt and top and the fabric coat.
The tall pink bag bulges out because it contains the doll stand and brush. The stand pole and base are one piece, giving it more volume.
Trying to align the hollow platform with the parts if you put them in the black tin is more fiddly.
The one thing I couldn't do was balance Skadi freestanding on her bare feet. They don't seem flat or large enough to hold her steady while trying to distribute her weight properly.
The stand clip is a separate piece but comes threaded onto the stand pole. The clip can slide all the way down to the bottom, allowing you to clip your MINNEEs in seated if you wish--that's a novelty. Waist-grip stand clips usually only slide so far down and are intended solely for standing poses.
Here's the doll in the case and in the stand. The doll stand just presses snug into the inset in the pink platform and can easily be removed.
I later realized the character card can be put back into the case to serve as a backdrop feature. You have to tip the case back and then load the pink platform in at least on its side so you can ensure the card is positioned right, but when the pieces are closed, it looks great. The card doesn't slip between the parts of the case when the pink platform and case click together. The fit could be a little tighter for the card to ensure it's aligned and doesn't fall forward, but it works really well as it is.
These character card portraits don't have the same AI-fusion look that the art on the sleeve of the box and the collector sheet do, notably lacking the visible doll joints, so I hope these pieces are human-made, or at least more human because everything sucks. Using the cards as backdrops is a great display idea and it also allows you to label the boxes so you remember whose is whose and which doll case base contains whose doll parts. If you have the case empty and doll parts inside the base, the card will tell you which doll lives there and left her things inside, but it's also fantastic that the card is not affixed in any way. The case window is easy to click in and separate from both the pink base and the black tin, too, and the units look great all assembled. This tiny $15-dollar doll's display case absolutely puts the over-$100-dollar Disney collector doll cases from the 2010s to shame. Those cases were very difficult to separate from the bases, and the backdrops were riddled with packaging mechanics that ruined the display if you unboxed the dolls, and had floor panels glued to the bases which were not intended to be removed.
The MINEEE cases can technically stack, but it's not a precise fit that suggests you're really supposed to do this. They're not engineered to fit snug this way. The cases also can't sit flush side-by-side because the bases are wider than the cases.
![]() |
| I wouldn't stack them above three myself. |
This is perfect packaging in my book. It's a blind package you really want to keep afterward for being very chic, displayable, and useful. The dolls can rock on display in the stands in their cases, the character cards are attractive backdrops and "who's is whose" box labels, and the platforms have storage space for extra pieces, like the doll brushes if nothing else. The sturdy cases and metal tins also feel deluxe. This feels like a premium product.
Now let's look at the doll. Winter Boutique isn't a name unless you're a drag queen, though I guess Winter is a normal enough first name. I decided to call her Skadi instead, after the Norse goddess associated with winter and skiing.
Skadi has powder blue hair in big ringlet curls. I was delighted to see it's ultra-silky nylon.
Rooting hair on such small dolls sounds like an invitation for a mess, and waves and curls especially, but Skadi looks okay out of the box. Her rooting is obviously limited to control the volume as much as possible, but I left her curls intact for a bit. Later on, I brushed them out, and later still, I boiled her hair. With a few pours of hot water, I found Skadi's hair relaxed quite nicely.
The face design of MINEE is semi-realistic and not super distinctive or caricatured, but it captures a Gen Z beauty aesthetic. The printing is somewhat miraculous for how small it is, but it looks blurry in close-up. I wouldn't mind a more 2D-influenced crisper style. Tiny print with sharper quality can be done. Skadi has eyebrows that coordinate with her hair, pink eyeshadow, and grey eyes with a light pink glossy lip and some blush.
Of course, my mind goes to the possibilities with MINNEE dolls if they were customized, but I can't imagine trying to repaint these tiny tiny faces.
![]() |
| Repainting Bloodgood's eyes grey (left) was difficult enough! A MINNEE head could probably top the walking stick of a standard fashion doll. |
The MINNEE dolls with jewelry come wearing it out of the bag, and the necklaces are closed loops--all measures to keep them from being lost. Skadi has a silver necklace with a snowflake pendant.
The body shape is not super cartoonish. The dolls have wide hips, but have larger busts than most MGA dolls of late, and the shoulders are not narrower than the hips. The legs are not exaggeratedly long. The feet also don't feel as disproportionately tiny as Barbie's.
Skadi is full of joints. What can she do? Easier to answer with what she can't do. That's not actually rhetorical--she has limitations compared to the gold standard of Made to Move Barbie, but it is a short list.
MINNEE has:
- A ball-joint head with great range
- Rotating hinge shoulders
- Rotating hinge elbows
- Rotating hinge wrists
- A rotating and tipping bust joint
- Ball-joint hips with great range
- Rotating legs at the thigh
- Double-jointed knees
- Rotating hinged ankles.
MINNEE lacks:
- Double-jointed elbows. That's it. (Her thighs also have an internal stopper and don't swivel a full 360 degrees, but they don't really need to. Her hips also don't swing backward.)
As a result, MINNEE eats poses for breakfast. She makes it all look effortless. Her proportions also give her some poses more unrealistic fashion dolls can't achieve, like the one-legged kneel, my usual litmus test for a doll schema. Skadi passes it with flying colors.
![]() |
| After hair relaxing. |
The one thing I couldn't do was balance Skadi freestanding on her bare feet. They don't seem flat or large enough to hold her steady while trying to distribute her weight properly.
Handling the doll is a little bit delicate because she isn't the most rigid hard plastic and her hinges are tiny, but being gentle and firm in the right ways will break in the body and get it moving just as easily as a larger doll. It's a little weird how quickly I got used to handling the doll and her tiny joints and clothing, and then had to stop myself and step back and remind myself how extraordinary she is. It's a mark of a good design if play feels very natural, though. This doll could have felt weak or fragile or frustrating, but it's not that hard to get in harmony with how she works, and she performs well.
I'd love to see more MINNEE body types, or even some MINNEE boys.
MINNEE's head pops on and off its ball peg easily, which can be an asset for dressing these dolls, and her hands pop out on minuscule little joint pegs that somehow go in and out without feeling ultra-fragile and flimsy.
The head is evidently made of two parts, with a jawline insert that contains the ball socket. It's only visible from below.
I'm sure this doll could be deconstructed further, like popping out the hips and such, but that's not necessary.
The MINNEE clothing repertoire mixes fabric and stretchy vinyl elements like a blend of traditional fashion dolls and Polly Pocket. Sewing at this scale is far less likely to produce attractive pieces, so I get the molded clothing, but the dolls alternate between the tops and bottoms being the fabric parts in some ways I don't like, and some don't have any fabric pieces. Skadi has two rubbery pieces--a top and skirt set which match with a turtleneck cropped cut on top. The top is slit open at the back for easy dressing, while the skirt has to pull up the body. The material is very stretchy and did not tear when using it, and Skadi's is one of the better rubber outfits to move in.
The back of the butt and hip sockets catches the edge of the skirt when trying to pull it up, so it needs to be pulled out and over that little edge to go up her waist.
Here's Skadi in the rubber clothes and her ice skate boots. She looks like a glamorous figure skater in this setup, and it's a delight that she can pose like one too.
![]() |
| Makes me wish the arms could reach above her head more realistically. |
Next is the coat and hat, which totally change Skadi's vibe. Suddenly she's not a celebrity skater; she's a seventeen-year-old wealthy influencer girlie. Hm.
The knit hat is firm plastic with textured sculpting and an M on the brim. It pops on tight to the head, though negotiating the curls so it doesn't flatten them in front of her face may be required.
The coat is, perhaps predictably, awkward for its scale. The arms are bulky and the poses look worse with the sleeves, and it doesn't sit super well around her torso. I'm also confused by the coat being a furry texture but sewn like a puffer jacket. I do like the jagged hem for an icy theme.
I think Skadi is far more chic without the coat and hat.
The purse is cute, with an effective acrylic-case visual style, though it hangs more elegantly on her arms and wrists without the coat.
She looks like a fancy lady this way, not a teen who lives for the likes. I get the worse style of MGA vibes from Skadi's full costume.
So. Time to put the scaling in perspective. MINNEE dolls are four inches tall, and because they're closer to adult-sized, they fall into 1:18 scale, looking too small for a 1:12 dollhouse.
They're about the same height as a LDD Mini or a troll doll if you exclude the hair, but out of this following lineup, MINNEEs are the slightest and most articulated.
![]() |
| Left to right: Standard LEGO minifigure, LEGO Wednesday minidoll, Playmobil figure, Monster High MEGA Bloks Twyla figure (first style, ca.2015, customized), LEGO Belville doll figure, MINNEE, LDD Minis Lottie doll, Russ Berrie troll doll, DC Super Hero Girls first-wave Harley Quinn action figure. |
I can't believe I was awed by Mega Bloks Twyla's little rotating knee hinges back in 2023. MINNEE joints are so much more advanced and even more petite.
Setting MINNEE in direct competition with LEGO Belville was pretty shrewd, since they're the closest two toys I have in size and proportion, and that's before getting into the articulation strengths each is boasting. MINNEE outdoes everybody in this picture. Harley is a wonderful toy and I had tons of fun posing her back in the day, but MINNEE has more joints. I'd be open to reacquiring her fashion doll edition and reviewing both.
Here's MINNEE next to a "fashion Polly" Polly Pocket doll. This copy has repainted legs and I replaced her feet with sculpted-on shoes.
MINNEE makes Polly look quite distorted and strange. I've seen that Polly and Littlest Pet Shop Blythe fabric clothes are promising avenues to clothe the MINNEEs in fiber.
I also expanded the lineup to a swath of fashion dolls of various sizes. I had picked a different Living Dead Doll and kept Lottie on, but when I added giant Alice to the lineup, I realized I should just use all three Alice sizes!
![]() |
| LDD Mini Lottie swapped for LDD Mini Sadie-Alice. Starting from Harley, left to right: #SnapStar doll (coming soon!), Disney Tokyo Resort Licca-esque doll (coming soon!), standard Living Dead Doll, Monster High G1 doll, standard modern Barbie, LDD Fashion Victims Wave 2 doll, one-off 13-inch classic LDD, Monster High Treesa Thornwillow (very customized, shown at full height ~15''), Monster High Gooliope Jellington (17'', restyled) |
When putting MINNEE up against the Belville witch, it's honestly tragic how immediately the witch fails to keep up and match poses. I was awed by her, but looking at MINNEE now, the witch has lost her claim to fame in a landslide. MINNEE humiliates her.
Anything witch can do, MINNEE does better.
To be sure, MINNEE's lithe fashion sculpt adds insult to injury while Belville is chunky and cartoonish, but the title has officially been lost on the witch's part.
LEGO Belville has some inherent advantages over MINNEE, coming from the LEGO engineering System the Belville dolls are compatible with. Belville figures have clip hands and countless compatible accessories, both custom-molded and buildable with your own combinations of LEGO parts, while their feet secure to LEGO studs for strong, dynamic standing displays.
The witch has her unique and wonderful applications. But only one of these two would ever be hired for a figure drawing class.
It's absolutely wild to me that MINNEE is a serious competitor with Made to Move Barbie and Frightfully Tall Monster High, the latter two developed by Mattel in the same range of time. Three totally separate doll scales, and yet they have a lot of equivalent articulation.
The trio of dolls kind of reminds me of the trio of Erics from the Wayside School books when comparing them--there are certain traits I observed in two of the dolls, but not one or all three. The Erics in Wayside School are each nicknamed for the one trait they lack but the other two share because they're being profiled. Two of the Erics are fat, so the third must also be, and is called Fatso as such, but he's the only skinny one. That's kind of how it went here--two dolls could do one thing the third couldn't in multiple venues.
For instance--both MINNEE and Made to Move have rotating hinged angles. Gooliope has no ankle joints.
Gooliope and Made to Move have double-jointed elbows and upper arm swivels, while MINNEE has the standard rotating single-hinged elbow.
Gooliope and MINNEE have bust joint rotation that Made to Move lacks.
Made to Move and Gooliope can swing their hips backward while MINNEE can't.
MINNEE and Made to Move Barbie are pretty sturdy, while Gooliope isn't. Goo is made of hollow plastic, but her knee joints collapse under the weight of the leg pieces and her hips aren't the tightest either. She would have been better new, but has weakened over years. MINNEE probably feels the most sturdy within herself. The Barbie ankles are a little flimsy, but MINNEE's aren't looser than her wrists or elbows.
I can't believe there's no singular winner, nor that MINNEE has legitimately become one of the three highest-articulated doll bodies I've owned. Each of these three doll types has differences and advantages and deficits, but this wee little lady being a completely genuine competitor is a landmark.
(I'll have to revisit once I can get the Defa Lucy Play model I want, since that style is a Made to Move competitor.)
Here's Skadi dressed with her relaxed hair in her display case. Much as I prefer her simpler no-coat no-hat look, I can't deny the charm and awe she provides when fully dressed and staged. The coat may be awkward, but it does still work visually.
Now that Skadi has provided a divergent review, I can take a look at Candy Couture. "Candy Couture" is also a fully viable drag name, but I'll be calling my doll Sugar.
The hairbrushes are all color-matched to the girls.
Sugar comes wearing her necklace and teeny tiny bracelets.
Her hair is bubblegum pink and is styled half-up in a high ponytail, with the rest loose in ringlets like Skadi's. Two long loose locks of hair stick out of the front of her pulled-back hairline. Same luxe nylon, but the style looks messy with flyaways.
Sugar has a translucent aqua hair bow which has a ring clip on the back that encircles the top ponytail tie.
Sugar has brownish/mauve eyes and brownish eyebrows. She has pink eyeshadow and bubblegum pink lipstick. Her skintone looks about the same as Skadi's. It might be that there are only two MINNEE skintones right now--this pale shade and the brown skin of Bubble Tea Bar and Comic Con.
Sugar's necklace is translucent pink and sweets-themed.
Sugar's bracelets are so delicate. It might be intentional that her costume is sleeveless, because that means you don't have to pop out her hands and risk losing the bracelets.
Here's the doll all dressed up.
I think the pink coloring needed a bit more breaking up. The lips and the necklace could have contrasted the pink, and maybe the bow on the corset could have been painted. I still like the look.
Sugar's costume is a closed rubber corset tube that has to pull up the legs first, and a fabric tulle skirt with a sprinkle pattern. The skirt has a little alignment strap sewn inside to keep it positioned right, and has a pink layer under the tulle.
Sugar makes perfect use of the hinged ankles with her high heels that fit perfectly and work just right with the articulation.
The symmetrical MINNEE shoes seem to be ambidextrous in sculpt. It doesn't matter which foot wears which.
Candy has a soft-serve sweet drink accessory, which has a bracket handle her hand slides into quite snugly. It's easy to pose her sipping from the straw.
I love her white candy-button purse design.
Candy displays like a natural. She's a sweet diva who might develop some serious health conditions in the future, but for now, it's lollipops and rainbows.
I like her even more with her hair boiled down into a heightened dramatic silhouette.
Alright, time to open number three. Who's on the card?
Ah, dang it.
I got a perfect sample of the range--one doll I actively liked, one I was happy to get with no strong feelings, and now one I wasn't a fan of.
I'll call the Cat Cafe doll Anya because it has nya in it. Again, though--the generic name does work for a drag queen. I just happened to get the only three MINNNEEs whose names could be actual names in a drag context!
Anya's brush is more purplish than Sugar's.
![]() |
| Sugar's brush on the left. |
Anya has black straightish hair with bangs across the face and framing side locks. The bangs are less gelled than the side locks. Anya's faceup isn't hugely different from Sugar's, but has its subtleties. Anya appears to be a Japanese character with her hair and catgirl theme.
The hair is tied into low ponytails, which look a bit awkward at this scale.
Since Anya has no jewelry, let's dress her up.
Ugh.
It's a disaster. This rubber catgirl hoodie is infuriatingly difficult to pull onto Anya's arms, and once it's on, the hood falls into her face and the sleeves inhibit the articulation. The paw mittens are ridiculous and seem able to fall off easily.
![]() |
| You can pull the hood up, but it won't stay here. |
Here's the head removed for a look at the hoodie.
The skirt is perfectly fine, but needed this hoodie gone immediately. I grabbed a stripy doll sock and cut it into a tube top Anya could wear.
Anya's boots are alright, with cat faces on the toes and leg warmers, but I'd prefer smaller shoes for her.
Her cat shoulder bag is nice.
Anya is one of the MINNEEs with a pet, and she has a fluffy white cat. It's cute, though the pain detail is very simple.
I almost wish the pink platforms had little pegs on them and the pets had little holes to let them be mounted inside the display cases for the dolls who have them. I put a piece of putty under kitty to keep her in place.
Anya is a flop with her own stock, but I like her with the improvised tube top.
I then took the tube top for some modifications. I sewed it a little tighter, put fabric glue around the edges, and added a halter neck to keep it pulled up. I also let down and cut Anya's hair. I found myself enchanted by the ability to clip her into display while kneeling and petting her cat.
Ultimately, I like all three dolls. Sugar is the best factory design of the three, and I enjoy her fully done up as a heightened aesthetic. Skadi works done up, but I like her more with fewer pieces as a classy dignified lady. With non-skate shoes, she'd be a lovely glamor model. Anya was the worst factory design, but taken down to earth with a new top, I love her for being down-to-earth, and I can connect to her love for cats when she's in flattering costume. Anya would be the doll I would want to explore dollhouse kits with. TBP Emily has done some exploration of Rolife Super Creator Series kits which MINNEE dolls fit into well, and Anya the way I have her feels like the best doll to house-hunt for in the Rolife catalogue. I might follow up with that!
To take the cover photo, I wanted to put tiny Minnee into the hands of my biggest doll, Gooliope, and emphasized the sizing motif with three other dolls of different size and measuring tapes and rulers. I really like this composition.
And here's Skadi in Gooliope's hands alone.
Skadi is kind of Gooliope-sized if Goo is taken as human-sized!
I didn't do elaborate photoshoots for these girls because that wasn't really my attraction here--moreso, I wanted to document them as toy design. I can do more photos if I give them a scale environment to thrive in, because I wasn't finding much spark in framing them among human-sized objects.
Well, except for the obvious.
At this point, I noticed Skadi's head socket had gotten a little bit looser--not enough to keep her out of pose, but at some point, it might have gotten a bit warped. Maybe the intensive hair boiling caused an issue. Something to note.
So. The summer 2026 doll season is finally over for me. I hit Moonspell Magic, Mirror Mi, and MINNEE before September. Lotta M initials. The only big doll drop I didn't participate in was KPOP Demon Hunters. I like the movie a lot, but have no need for any toys from it.
As for MINNEE? I don't even need to say it, really. She did the thing. She's really her. A new standard has been set; an astronomical achievement in doll engineering has been done and for once it wasn't Mattel. To call these dolls anything but a marvel would be dishonest. To have put such extensive functional articulation into tiny dolls that perform well is astonishing.
It would be a lie to say MINNEE is the first to do this, but they're definitely the first to hit the big time with this combo of size and articulation. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the toy market gets sorted into a "pre-MINNEE" and "post-MINNEE" view in the same way we measure the market by pre/post Monster High or L.O.L. dolls. MINNEE could be very influential. I bet there are people racing to develop a competitor right now, and I'd love to see imitators diversifying the pool of characters in tiny articulated scale. If we don't see at least one 2027 doll brand competing with MINNEE, I'll be shocked, and I hope MINNEE is taken as a challenge for somebody to get this doll scale even more articulated. If someone drops a viciously petty double elbow joint into this doll scale, than that's progress in my book! Wacky fantasy dolls or spooky dolls in this style would also own my soul.
I'm also very very impressed by the MINNEE packaging. It's nothing short of perfection. The doll cases feel deluxe and sturdy. The metal tin bases are really nice, the boxes are clean, and the display is terrific with the inset for the doll stand, the character cards included which can be used as display case backdrops, and the hollow base allowing for perfect storage of brushes and any clothing or accessories you're not displaying with the doll. Put together in the doll cases, the MINNEEs are simply mind-blowing objects. I could honestly see Zuru getting away with doubling the price and selling these for $30. The production for what you pay feels very generous, and I'm not that annoyed that $30 ends up being the aftermarket price for identified non-blind MINNEE girls.
I have critiques. First off--AI has absolutely no place in the doll world, and it sucks that these dolls are bogged down by association with the technology. Zuru is deeply irresponsible, and AI undermines the hard work and brilliant engineering that went into the toys and makes them much harder to recommend when it ought to be the world's easiest "yes". MINNEE could easily lose its crown if an imitator does the whole thing without AI tarnishing it, and I'd give that imitator higher marks even though it wasn't the first to the game. Also, the scale has its necessary drawbacks. I'm not a fan of rubber clothing, though some examples are far more "movable" than others. The hoodie for Anya, however, was a disaster. It didn't sit well and it impeded the articulation that these dolls soar upon. I know some fashions just aren't going to translate to microscale fiber crafting, but I wish there had been more function-driven character design so every outfit felt optimized for the tiny scale. I would semantically prefer 100% fiber tops and bottoms for these dolls like I made happen for Anya. The hair, while silky soft, also struggles to look good or tidy at this scale, though I'm glad the big corkscrews can be boiled down. That seems to create some erratic strands,
I can't responsibly say MINNEE is worth pursuing even though I was awed with the actual product. The ethical dilemma behind Zuru consumption, as long as they use AI creations, is a real one and I think it's righteous to boycott the toys. I'm part of the problem for not doing the same. The actual product you get, however, is something special. If Zuru cared more, these would be untarnished marvels, and there's a whole lot of amazing packed in. I wish that was all there was. This is the photo that says it all for me as far as why I loved these toys:
...this wondrous design is not an excuse, though. If these can be improved by eliminating AI design, then they'd be some of the greatest toys ever. There is very plausibly a better toy in the future which does MINNEE's game without the AI. I want that toy. MINNEE isn't bad. Zuru is.
























































































































No comments:
Post a Comment