Saturday, August 1, 2026

Picking Bones, Part 5: Monster High G3 Signature Skelita Calaveras by Mattel


In a word: finally. This doll has been on deck to drop in the US for so long that she- oh, wait, she already was a skeleton. Well, if she wasn't at the start, she certainly would have turned into one in the time she waited!


G3 Skelita's doll was a long time coming, but it was even longer for US fans. Her doll reveal came a good while after her debut in the first G3 cartoon. I didn't even recognize it was the G3 Skelita design with the first look at her photos. That should say something!

The news was very exciting to me because she was the first G3 doll, in order of image leaks, to be confirmed to have a fully bespoke body sculpt of the kind G3 had yet to expend on its characters previously. It wasn't like Skelita could have been designed any other way, of course, but it was still exciting. Since then, the US got G3 Robecca before Skelita, and Robecca, poetically, claimed the role of "first fully-bespoke sculpt released" over here just like her G1 counterpart did back in the day. As such, Skelita could have been less of a hype moment as a result, but I think the wait and sheer unavailability returned the excitement factor to her final appearance on shelves! 

My enthusiasm for Skelita was also dampened a bit when I learned how Mattel decided to fill out her tricky costume fit. Still, I couldn't wait to get her...but wait I had to, as the U.S. got her much later than other countries. This could be an innocent logistical thing where the US drops for Robecca and Skelita were swapped, but I don't blame anyone for smelling a rat when the very visibly Mexican doll seemed to be delayed or disappeared in the market whose government would be most hostile to her. All opportunities to have announced a Howliday 2026 G1 Skelita have also passed with silence on the matter, so it looks like that doll line is now dead, and that's a really bad look. It makes it harder to take the character's handling by Mattel oversight in good faith. G3 Skelita did ultimately materialize, but it still leaves a weird feeling even if there wasn't any cowardice or delay in truth. I've previously been skeptical of Skelita playing the Mexican iconography so loudly and wondered if it was the best representation, but in the much worse environment of 2026, I support her being as visibly Mexican as she possibly can, because now that's rebellion. 

Many G3 signature dolls have been on-sight acquisitions for me, the moment I see them on shelves, but being driven slightly mad by Skelita's delay made this the easiest instant-grab of my G3 collection so far.

And I didn't have to choose between her or a Mirror Mi doll, because the Mirror Mi doll I want most is (currently un)available at a different retailer.



Here she is unboxed. She stands surprisingly well in her shoes.


I had an immediately positive reaction to handling this doll body and getting her displayed. The materials, sculpt, and proportions of her bones all felt like a big tactile improvement over the G1 design. 

G3 Skelita's doll has nothing really shared with her preceding G3 cartoon design. Every detail is different. Honestly, I'm not mad at any of the various changes.


The doll starts with her marigold headband, which is similar to pieces we've seen on Skelitas before--especially the Howliday 2023 doll. G3's is more asymmetrical, and is unpainted.

Howliday '23 Skelita's piece.

G3's piece. 

The piece is tagged into her head at both ends, but the tags weren't hard to cut, unlike with most doll headbands stapled in this way. The back of the mold is hollow, and the band has a woven texture.


Skelita Calaveras, across all of her dolls, has had four hair colors--black base, and streaks of orange, teal, or magenta. This doll and character design make the first Skelita to pair the orange and magenta as accents to the black. 


G1 signature had only orange and black; G1 Art Class and G1 Howliday 2024 and '25 had black, orange and teal; G1 Scarnival, G2 collector-edition, and G1 Howliday '23 had only black and teal; and G1 Scaritage/I Love Accessories Skelita had magenta and teal. After G1 signature, this is the only other Skelita doll with no teal in her hair. I honestly could have done with wider or more numerous orange and magenta hair streaks in the G3 doll. Even combing the streaks she has more to the front doesn't make them super visible.

The hair is wavy and fried saran that needs taming and reduction in volume. The front of Skelita's center-part is subtly tied tight behind her head, just like the Howliday 2025 doll.

Skelita's face is stunning. It oddly manages to be both bolder and tamer than the G1 doll's.


As far as being bolder, the calavera makeup is much more elaborate here, and this Skelita has wicked grey eye shading sinking in her eye sockets and emphasizing a skeletal look in a way G1 dolls didn't do, with their shading being colorful and much more subtle about the skull thing. G3's nose, while still flesh-contoured and painted with a nasal cavity, might be slightly more skully than G1, especially with the shape of the paint. In terms of being tamer, the sculpt looks a fair bit softer and less freaky in contour, though Skelita does still have the brow ridge, the cheekbones, and the absence of ears.

Here she is next to the G1 signature face.


The original Skelita got some strong reactions at the time from some who found her makeup a lot, but it feels timid next to the G3 doll. At the same time, the G3 doll looks less gaunt and bug-eyed despite her sunken eye shading, and is more approachable. I never adored G1 signature Skelita's face for looking a bit too vacant or even vapid, and she's a bit creepier than other G1 renditions. My current Scarnival Skelita is my favorite of her G1 faces, and still might be my favorite Skelita face overall.


Even Scarnival Skelita feels more like an object of the weird, a piece of the spooky goth genre, more than the G3 doll thanks to the facial difference. I do think G3 Skelita is gorgeous, though, and she's certainly impressive.

The calavera makeup is awesome.  A lavender cobweb spans her forehead, while red and purple swirls frame the sides of her skull. Orange dots surround the eyes, while simple aqua eyeshadow hits her...well, she must have eyelids. Skelita's anatomy is odd. Her lips are a muted mauve with the skeletal lip lining and extended toothy marks she's always had, and she's got a great smile. She has a slightly pursed open lip look like G1 signature, and I'm surprised by how well it works. The pursed lips were my least favorite feature of the G1 doll by far, with me vastly preferring later Skelitas' lip paints, but I think it's successful on the G3 doll.

G1 Skelita has had several elaborate makeup looks, but most of them are from collector dolls. In the G1 playline, Skelita had four dolls and only two calavera designs--the template used by signature, Scaritage, and Scarnival, and the template used by Art Class. The faceups weren't identical on those that used the base laid out by signature, but the sugar skull look was mostly the same on each. I hope that if G3 Skelita gets a few more dolls, each and every one has totally different calavera paint.

Skelita also has very subtle hairline paint, which makes her tied parting feel like an obstruction to this detail.


Her bone color is comparable to the G1 doll's off-white, but Skelita's bones are pearly shimmery finish as well, which makes her look more fantastical (or perhaps more like sugar skulls) in a way I'm totally fine with.

Skelita's earlessness naturally leaves her with no earrings, as with most of her previous dolls. Howliday '25 faked earrings by attaching them to her headdress.

The costume starts with a golden necklace. This is not the same mold or color as the G1 necklace, but it's clearly meant to be the same design. The sculpt is nearly note-for-note. It's just smaller and with some differences in detail.



If I'm correct here, I think the G1 necklace was portrayed as a generational heirloom of the Calaveras family, so I love that it's a generational inheritance in the toyline meta-canon too.

The G3 dress balances activity and quiet nicely.


The armholes are trimmed with flared aqua tulle ruffles, while the bodice is plain black with a dipped neckline. Instead of a belt accessory, the waist is trimmed with a golden attached ribbon sash. The skirt is three tiers--two patterned around one black tier. The top tier is printed with butterflies that have Skullette patterns.


The bottom tier of the skirt is printed and cut to look like multicolored papel picado festival banners, just like the G1 signature skirt, which was three tiers of this effect, and the 2024 Howliday dress, which had papel picado trim.

G3's dress next to G1's.

G1's costume was more pieces--she had a vinyl belt and the skirt was a fully removable piece over a skinny full dress, but one of the biggest failings of the G1 signature doll was how poorly it fit her bare bones. It was a dress cut for a fleshy figure with a waist, and when the disposable dress form was taken out of Skelita's costume, it stopped fitting her properly, which either looked sloppy or deeply upsetting. After the signature doll, Skelita's costume cuts shifted more flouncy and/or old-fashioned in ways that allowed them to wear more gracefully on her sculpt. I liked the modern tone of the original Skelita, but the tailoring was wrong for her body sculpt. G3's dress follows the thesis of the post-signature G1 Skelitas...though she has help with her costume fit.

On each wrist, Skelita has a single bracelet--different colors and sculpts.



The pink bracelet on her right wrist is snug, while the blue cord bracelet on her left is able to freely slide a bit more up and down her wrist.

Skelita's shoes aren't unfamiliar to styles in her repertoire, but they're still spectacular. They're sandals with a stamped-leather color and sculpt style, with aqua straps and marigolds trimming the ankles.




It looks like the factory paint didn't totally understand the mold, because there are unpainted drippy effects that look like they should have been part of the blue paint section. 

Skelita's sole G2 edition reused all of her G1 molds, so this is only her second body design. It's a full anatomical-style bone sculpt again...but half of her torso is encased in torso-contoured clear plastic to make her clothes fit look good. Her sculpting gives her the wide-hips body type used by characters like Cleo and Spectra. She is the standard median height like Cleo and Spectra, not a taller hippy build like Nefera.


I understand the rationale. It's a cleaner, more functional solution to the tricky optics of clothing on a waistless skeleton frame than shoving a mannequin half-shell in the dress for packaging. Those pieces weren't clothing and didn't let G1's legs move freely, plus they came across as disposable packaging best discarded. The torso shell also potentially expands the types of clothes Skelita can wear. As a waistless skeleton, she's never been given trouser cuts, but G3 Skelita can potentially wear any clothing that doesn't expose her midrif--so anything except crop tops. That's an appealing prospect. But an "invisible" chunk of plastic that can't be removed to enjoy the bone sculpt uncovered feels really messy. These shells could have been clip-on parts. Even better, Mattel could have designed a fitted vinyl corset costume piece, or turned the plastic shells into a clip-on removable corset shell like some MGA corset pieces, so Skelita could have an unobtrusive canonical support garment to aid her clothing fits. Just have a sculpted diegetic body sleeve that fit around her torso and filled in the waist region, and then her clothes can wrap around that waist filler while Skelita can live her bony life. This plastic shell feels like the minimum-thought solution to the problem of padding Skelita's clothes while letting her move and showing her sculpting, when more consideration could have produced something with options and more visual/logical harmony.

I don't at all hate this body, though. I love it. I think it's a major improvement over the G1 sculpt! First off, I think the G3 proportions of this design are very appealing. The limbs are nicely thick and the hands feel a bit large in a way I love--give me big hands over small ones any day. This sculpt also has some more impressive depth and detail, with the arm and leg bone gaps being proper holes and the trachea region being hollowed.




G1 Skelita's hands had proper gaps, but her arm and leg molds had the bones pressed together with no holes. The Create-a-Monster Skeleton limbs which preceded Skelita did have those holes, though, while Jack Skellington had them only on the forearms. 

G3 Skelita's materials and articulation are also superior. G1 Skelita felt flimsy, with her body being made of flexible and springy plastics to avoid snapping, but it made her feel more awkward to handle. Her upper leg pieces were also especially susceptible to warping. My Scarnival doll's are bent in a weird forward-and-back arc and probably need re-setting so her legs can be properly straight.


The G3 doll doesn't feel bendy or weak. Her arms and legs feel solid and her joints turn without flexing the plastic first. A skeleton might not be a very robust fantasy creature, but bones are strong and toys should be too. MH becoming less like stick figures with passing generations was overall a durability improvement, but nowhere is that more visible with Skelita, who didn't get a G2 body revision. The G3 doll is a pleasure to pose. She can also do more thanks to wangling a torso joint into that sculpt. Her neck is badly stiff, though, and needs surgery to tilt better.

It's worth noting that post-2015 G1 Skelita bodies did improve the sturdiness a little bit, and the legs of the three post-2015 G1 Skelita bodies I've handled are not as problematic as the copies of the two pre-2016 editions' I've owned. I still think G3 is easily a more satisfying construction than any G1-body Skelita.

Like MH's other skeleton dolls, the leg and hip design gives Skelita more forward hip motion than most dolls--even with the torso shell.


G3 Skelita does still have bone boobs, but because her lower torso contour is an invisible shell, the bones inside are allowed to be more realistic. Her pelvis isn't hollow, but she has a coccyx and not bones that are shaped like a butt.


G1 Skelita's literal bony butt.

G3 Skelita lacks the sculpted (apparent) fracture detail across the front and back of the pelvis. It never made sense on G1, anyway.

This is the second Monster High sculpt design to put a clear torso shell over internal bones, with the Inner Monsters doing it first, for the whole torso.


Unlike the Inner Monsters, Skelita's doesn't come off. Even so, the Inner Monsters and G3 Skelita make it incomprehensible why Skullector River couldn't have had bones inside her clear torso.

G3 Skelita's hands and forearms pop out like other G3 dolls'. The hand just have much shorter pegs to allow the radius and ulna gaps to be molded in.


I really like this doll body...I just can't hold with the torso case, personally. With some pliers, sawing, and wire cutters, I was able to slowly break the shell into pieces and remove it. It's not an integral part of her torso assembly and was able to come off completely while the torso joint is unaffected and undamaged. The joint friction may be slightly reduced now, and the weight of Skelita's hair wants to tip the bust backward.


This makes it easier to see the ball joint the torso and spine use to articulate Skelita's bust. With the torso case removed, I also discovered that Skelita can cross her legs in a way I've never seen a doll achieve before.


It's such a mundane, easy pose for people that dolls can almost never do. I tried this on G1, and even her hips don't have this extent of inward hinge mobility. This is a unique display option to a "cracked" G3 Skelita. I don't know why this is such a little marvel to me, but I adore this discovery. This pose is a lot less meaningful with the doll dressed up, as her legs are harder to parse in her big skirt. Then again, breaking the shell off kind of took pant cuts, which would let this pose shine best, off the table. I wish the knees bent back further, but they don't seem to bend less than normal G3 dolls'.

She can also cross her legs standing in a way that reminds me of a lot of illustrated doll portraits.


I think I need to get another G3 Skelita, strip her scalp and paint to base, and crack her torso too. That would be a fun skeleton desk model, or even a base for a custom alternate skeleton character. I like the G3 body so much more in the handling that I'm no longer interested in a G1 skeleton custom--no, not even in making the Create-a-Monster Skeleton complete. G3 Skelita base all the way. It's simply the better skeleton doll.

Cracking Skelita didn't affect the fit of her signature clothing in any visible way. I don't need to engineer a removable clothes filler--not for this outfit, at least.


Even before cracking her, though, the upper points on her femurs got stuck on her dress when pulling it down her body. Something to note.

With the shell removed, Skelita's clothing options become limited in the familiar G1 manner, and she can basically only wear structured dresses now and look proper--the torso and waist need to be sturdy and cut properly, and a sheath cut is likely going to disappoint. Monster Ball Lagoona's dress is too thin to sit right on the bare bones. Skelita needs a flared high skirt.


I didn't check before removing the torso case, but without it, Skelita can definitely fit into her G1 counterpart's clothes.


So there's a tradeoff. If you want Skelita to be a pure skeleton who can pose in a few ways that almost no other dolls can, break off her shell and let her be authentically bony and unique. If you want her to wear more types of clothing than any previous Skelita could, however, leave that shell on. Or engineer a new removable clothes filler somehow.

Skelita's first accessory is one of those everpresent pairs of translucent G3 sunglasses. Hers are shaped like butterflies and the arms have no special design.


They don't really suit this fashion look.

Skelita has a purse which I really like, matching the leather look of her shoes (and her G1 signature belt and bracelet). It's a shoulder bag, surprisingly with an adjustable strap, and has a pink charm on it. The flap opens with a pinhole connection, but it's a bend to get the flap up to expose the small hollow of the bag.




Even at the loosest, the strap isn't long enough to wear crossbody. The necklace gets in the way.

Skelita's G1 counterpart debuted as a student fashion designer studying in Scaris, an origin shared with fellow Scaris: City of Frights debut character Jinafire Long. Both Jinafire's and Skelita's G3 counterparts have retained their fashion-design interests. With Skelita, this is displayed with a butterfly-shaped pair of scissors and a fashion sketchpad. Jinafire had a mini dragon-tailed sewing mannequin, and her own sketchpad.


The scissors are one piece of flexible plastic--not moving scissors like the Us Skullector set had. They can kind of display nicely in Skelita's hand, though.


The scissors fit inside her purse.

Skelita's sketchpad is teal with colorful artwork for a festival dress.


This is what Jinafire's sketchpad looked like. Hers depicted designs for the pieces she comes wearing. Skelita is designing an outfit that doesn't exist in the doll line. The closest cut in her own repertoire is G1 Scarnival's dress, which is still quite different.


Skelita's smartphone has a butterfly and marigolds on the front and a Skelly Vonderbone song playing on it. Skelly appeared in the first G3 cartoon series as an entertainer voiced by drag queen Trixie Mattel. Skelly isn't called a drag queen herself, but she pretty clearly is meant to be. Trixie wouldn't have voiced her if she was just a cis female pop star.


The back of the phone has a candle design.


Skelita's Skullette-shaped food item was a pastry I didn't recognize, but quick research made it clear it's a concha!



I like that this doll taught me a Mexican food I didn't know about. I'd like to try a concha someday.

The drink...I'm less sure what this is meant to depict. It's a new lid topper for a mug jar mold that already existed, and it's painfully obvious there's nothing inside the jar even though the topper looks like it's for a full cup. Was it that hard to mold the jar opaque?



I don't know what the vision was.

Skelita gets a pet for the first time in G3--she's a little dog named Candelita. With the chibi style of G3 pets, I'm genuinely not sure whether she is meant to be a chihuahua or xolo, but xolo dogs are hairless and chihuahuas can have mohawks. Or maybe this is just a xolo with a mohawk because why not? I like the idea of calavera makeup and bone markings, but maybe a pet alebrije (a la Coco) would have been even better--or at least, more palatable in this art style.



Comparing the two signature Skelitas, there's really no competition.


G1 Skelita's first doll was definitely not her best, and the G3 doll feels like a much more extravagant package. I don't personally get a ton out of the G3 accessories, but if you're a kid, you probably want the G3 more. I also think the body design of the G3 doll is much better for handling (and even better if you reject the torso shell) and the G3 art style is really successful for a skeleton character, even though she's a bit less off-kilter and bizarre in the face. G3 also covers her bases in regard to the body sculpt and costume fit. G1 lacked some vital consideration and had optical problems. I prefer the G3 signature doll in every way. Later G1 Skelitas are more competitive in aspects, but G3 is still the better toy.

Skelita got her hair slightly boiled and trimmed to tame it a bit.

I took advantage of the reverse side of my blue and gold bird paper to give Skelita the matching Mexican turquoise tone I've never really had for her earlier dolls.


I set up a workshop scene for her, using a doll stand and incomplete CAM body wearing the Scarnival dress as a clothing piece she's working on. I trimmed the rest of the scenes with whatever skeleton and Dia de Muertos imagery I had available. I think I got rid of the wooden calaca I used for Skelita's Howliday 2025 photoshoot, and that was a really senseless choice. I don't know what made me think I wouldn't have use for it. I was able to find fabric pieces to hang as drapery paralleling Skelita's hair accents. 

Rae Lumina's candle was a useful prop here too. You'll be seeing her soon.




EDIT: I didn't get rid of the calaca after all. It was just hiding!


Outdoor photos didn't offer much promise. There aren't many flowers around that suit Skelita, and autumnal pictures are a little ways off. I've been so eager on the wait for Skelita that I had to publish her review in the preceding off-season. I can shoot more with her when the yellow leaves fall, but I wasn't making her wait any further than she already had to.



While the workshop setup made for potential cover photos, my Skelita Picking Bones posts have all followed a shared cover photo aesthetic, so I chose to uphold that. I basically simplified and darkened the workshop set, adding the skull backdrop and candlelight of previous shoots.





Here are a few other variations.




Overall, I'm quite happy with G3 Skelita. 

Her visual design is appealing and detailed, with excellent face paint and bony sculpting. I enjoy her accessories better than some others. She's also a major improvement on the character's execution. While I think it's a relatively ham-fisted or restrictive solution, she does solve the problem of Skelita's clothing fits being poor on a bone body, and allows for the possibility of the doll wearing a wider range of fashion styles without a hitch. That's really nice, even if I wish the clothing filler were made into a diegetic support piece for her to wear that the owner was allowed to take off as intentional design. The plastic shell is the one reason I can't categorically say she's a better skeleton doll than G1...but in all other aspects, she totally is. 

G3's body pieces are much sturdier and she has a bit of extra articulation, though Mattel's neck joints suck these days and she does underperform there, and needed surgery. I think Skelita with her shell broken off is definitely a superior skeleton doll to G1, as she is much nicer to handle, has some articulation advantages, and isn't at risk of her limbs deforming. I'm excited to see what might be possible with a blank G3 Skelita base, or just to have that as a curiosity of its own. For all the quibbles I have where I may see G3 Skelita as a flawed design, she is unquestionably a better toy than G1 Skelita was. If you're willing and careful and think you can break off her casing yourself, or if you don't mind its presence at all, I have to recommend her as the skeleton doll for you. I like G1 Skelita and she has a distinct look, but if you've always coveted her just for the novelty of having a skeleton fashion doll--leave G1 behind. G3 does it better and is much more accessible now, besides.

No comments:

Post a Comment